Tips on how to prevent dengue fever
- use insect repellent
- wear loose but protective clothing – mosquitoes can bite through tight-fitting clothes; trousers, long-sleeved shirts, and socks and shoes (not sandals) are ideal
- sleep under a mosquito net – ideally one that has been treated with insecticide
- be aware of your environment – preventing mosquitoes from accessing egg-laying habitats by environmental management and modification
- eliminate the vector by
– changing water and scrubbing sides of lower vases once a
– keep water containers covered.
– proper disposal of rubber tires, empty bottles and cans.
- Avoid too many hanging clothes inside the house.
In late 2015, the first dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia (CYD-TDV) by Sanofi Pasteur, was registered in several countries for use in individuals 9-45 years of age living in endemic areas.